Home · how-to

How-To: Salvaged Window Headboard

windowheadboard-2

This time last year I started making some changes in my apartment. It’s been a year and still, there’s a whole laundry list of things I want to do. So one by one, things get checked off the list based upon a little extra funds that month or when there’s an uncommon free Saturday. Extra funds are basically non-existent at this stage in the game so therefore DIY projects have become a less common occurrence. But that’s okay, it’s just this stage of life, and it forces me to be more creative with what I do have.

When there was a little extra cash over the summer, I brought home this amazing window from a salvage yard in Tampa called Schiller’s. Seriously, walking through that place was renovation and design heaven y’all. I have purposely not gone back there since that day because I can’t afford to buy anything else that I don’t absolutely need right now!

I spotted the window right after we got there and later found out it had just been dropped off that morning–it hadn’t even been cleaned or given a sale price, so the man himself gave me a deal…definitely worth a little bit of my own elbow grease.

1. Cleaning

The first thing I did was hose it off really good to get the initial layer of dirt off. Then, I took a rag and multi-purpose spray and scrubbed it down, focusing mostly on scrubbing off the glass panes and just getting that initial layer of dirt off the white paint without removing all of the evidence of the past. My goal was not to change this piece in any way, it is too gorgeous.

windowheadboard-3windowheadboard-4windowheadboard-5windowheadboard-6windowheadboard-7windowheadboard-8

 

2. Measuring and D-Rings

My good friend Amber (who is also to blame for showing my Schiller’s), helped hang the window. It was actually super simple, but the simplest of skills are good to have when it comes to hanging wall pieces.Β We were good and actually used a measuring tape, level, and drill!

Amber showed me these amazing little pieces of hardware called D-rings. I felt like such an idiot for not having used them before, but then again, I’ve never had to hang something this large.

As you can see in the photos above, we measured from the top of the window and the sides to make sure the D-rings would be in the same spot on both sides. Then, we pre-drilled the holes in the wood for the screws to prevent any splitting. Finally, we screwed the D-rings on and went on to wall placement.

windowheadboard-9windowheadboard-10

3. Wall PlacementΒ 

Before this project, Amber also assisted me with removing my old headboard from the bed frame and putting down this new jute rug while the bed was off the floor. In a later post, I’ll show the before and after photos of the room. The old headboard made it feel really dark; you can see a little sliver of it in the photo below.Β 

My goal is to open up the room and make it feel less crowded, so removing a very dark and heavy headboard from the set-up was a good step toward that idea.

So basically, the window became the perfect width for a headboard replacement. We measured to make sure it would hang centered over the bed and used the level to make sure the holes we pre-drilled would be straight when hung (my dad should be so proud). For a piece this large, it is very important to have someone else to help you hang it and hold it steady!

Instead of anchors in the drywall, we used the nail “L” rests pictured above. I’m sure that’s not the actual name for those, but you get the idea. They work great instead of anchors when you’re using nails instead of screws; anchors leave such giant holes in the wall!

windowheadboard-11windowheadboard-12windowheadboard-14

Well that’s it, one, two, three, and done! The only other thing I plan to do is maybe add a floral garland across the window for fun.

It’s amazing the difference just one piece like that can make in a space. The room as a whole feels so much lighter now and all it took was laying down a different rug, moving around two pieces of furniture, and hanging a feature piece on the wall.

Next step, floral garlands, some hanging plants, and re-painting the rest of the apartment!

windowheadboard-15

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s