You guessed it, this week is all about…Zucchini!
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables and it just so happens that it’s pretty easy to disguise in baked goods. The first recipe I’m sharing is for gluten-free vegan double chocolate zucchini brownies. The recipe was adapted from looking at a plethora of regular, gluten-free, and vegan brownie recipes. I took a pan of these ooey-gooey brownies to a game night with friends who had young children and the kids didn’t even notice the veggies. The zucchini is truly invisible in the end result; it’s a perfect little secret!
The first time I tried this recipe, I didn’t quite cook them long enough, so make sure you let them cook without peeking! Sometimes it’s hard to tell when gluten-free baked goods are done. My advice would be, the moment you think, “if I don’t take these out they will burn,” then you know they are ready.
Also, you can omit or lessen the amount of chocolate chips that are mixed into the brownies depending on how gooey you want your brownies to be. The whole chocolate chips inside the brownies keep them from completely setting up like a regular box mix of brownie batter.
As you scroll through the photos of my no frills baking process, make sure you read through the captions for more information!
Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- 2 cups good all-purpose gluten-free flour (*check for xanthan gum)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola & coconut oil blend
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups shredded organic zucchini
- 1 cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- Additional 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips for topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using hand mixer, beat sugar, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add flour mixture and continue mixing until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add the shredded zucchini, then the cocoa powder, and mix on low until combined.
- Stir in the 1 cup of semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips.
- Pour into lightly greased casserole pan.
- Sprinkle extra semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes, or until brownies are 90% set.
- Let cool before cutting.
- Serve and enjoy!