Of all the baked goods out there, muffins are a staple! And yet, they are the one baked good I hadn’t attempted to make from scratch until now. Maybe that’s a good thing though since it’s been a little tricky converting regular recipes into gluten-free and vegan versions.
This ended up being a super easy recipe that I’ll be able to change just slightly and create a different flavor of muffin, or even turn into a layer cake or bread.
Just like the Zucchini Brownies, the vegetables in these muffins are disguised super well. I’d say, if you’re a fan of cinnamon bread, carrot cake, pineapple upside down cake, or snickerdoodle cookies, you’ll be a fan of these.
To make it even better, these are good for you and have protein in them because they’re made with flax seeds. Flax seeds combined with the oats, vegetables, and cranberries make for a balanced breakfast or snack. The sweet little drizzle of icing on top makes them perfect with a cup of coffee.
This recipe, and most recipes, make at least two dozen of whatever baked good it is. So, I love to share whenever the opportunity comes (Goodness knows I don’t need to eat two dozen of anything alone!). Sharing baked goods feels so personal, it’s hard to explain.
Anyways, I got these cute, cheap little to-go boxes on sale at Michaels, added a little parchment paper and twine, a leaf, and there you have it!
Note: Due to the non-dairy ingredients, I have found that these keep best in the refrigerator. They also taste great cold so that’s a bonus!
Carrot Zucchini Flax Muffins–
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 25-30 min.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/3 cup milled flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium organic zucchinis
- 2 medium organic carrots
- 1/2 cup canola/coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup Vegan sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 ¼ cup gluten free flour (*check for xanthan gum)
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or more if you like)
- 1/2 cup cranberries (dried or fresh)
- Confectioners sugar
- Dairy free milk of choice (soy, almond, or coconut)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Pour flax seeds in water and set aside to soak
- Wash carrots and zucchini and chop up very small.
- Add all wet ingredients including flax mixture and mix together.
- Add all dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined into a thick batter.
- Stir in cranberries.
- If needed, use a hand mixer to thoroughly combine all of the ingredients into one cohesive batter.
- Scoop into oiled muffin tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top by drizzling the icing over them with the whisk or spoon used to make the icing.
- Enjoy with warm beverage of choice…yum!
To Make the Icing:
- In a bowl, slowly add the dairy free milk to the confectioners sugar and whisk together. The more liquid is added, the thinner the icing will be. You want it to be thin enough to drizzle over the muffins. Once the desired consistency, add cinnamon to taste.
Happy baking, eating, and sharing, everyone!