The Sunflower Princess: Flower Crown DIY

This project came about after I got a new part time job working for a photography studio.  The company has an actual studio location, but they also send out photographers to schools for school picture days. If you follow my Instagram page @emmachristinecreative, you’ve seen some of my stories about taking school pictures.

At elementary schools the photographers wear some kind of head piece, which is a fun way to get the kids’ attention. Instead of buying something, I decided to make mine, and naturally, my first thought involved large flowers.

This was my first time making a flower crown, so it was a fun experiment! And I got a good response after wearing it to work last week–the other photographers thought it was cute and the kids seemed the like it too!

I suppose this is my version of posting something costume related for the month of October. You could totally make something like this to compliment a costume for a princess, hippie, or fairy. You could add some antlers to it for a deer or other animal, or, go for a “darker” idea and add some skull makeup for a day of the dead look. I even saw a picture of a Frida Kahlo costume with a flower crown…the possibilities are endless!

Materials: 
  • One bouquet of faux fall flowers
  • Wired twine
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • Wire cutters
flowercrownfall-1

Truly, laying out all the materials before starting a project or a recipe is not just something I do to take a picture. It’s a good feeling to assess what you’ve got before embarking on a project. You may have a vision or new idea come to you seeing everything laid out.

flowercrownfall-4

All of these flowers were cut from one bouquet of faux flowers and I definitely didn’t use them all. The leftover ones will be used for another project!

flowercrownfall-5

The foundation of choice for my flower crown was this hard-wired twine. It actually worked very well, and it’s just bendable enough to shape to your head. Below is a picture of what it looked like after I measured it for my head. Then, I twisted it together so that there was a better platform for the flowers and greenery.

flowercrownfall-6

flowercrownfall-7

I decided to start with the largest flower, which would become the focal point of the crown. I stuck the bottom of the flower into the twine and put a dollop of hot glue on it. This process was basically repeated for all the flowers.

flowercrownfall-8flowercrownfall-9flowercrownfall-10

flowercrownfall-11

After placing the sunflower and leaves on either side of it, I started adding other flowers on each side of the sunflower. You can see it a little bit better in the picture below–I used those bright green leaves to cover up the hot glue from attaching the others. Like the twine, they are wired and I was able to shape them to curve around the rest of the flowers and twist the stem around the twine in between them. 

flowercrownfall-12flowercrownfall-14

flowercrownfall-15

I actually love that it’s a little lopsided–like, the sunflower is bigger than the red flowers and berries and it’s not centered. It makes the overall picture more visually interesting.

flowercrownfall-16

The one thing I might do differently next time would be to spend a couple extra dollars on using actual floral tape to secure the flowers on the twine. It would look nice to cover up the hot glue more efficiently that way.

flowercrownfall-18flowercrownfall-19flowercrownfall-20flowercrownfall-21flowercrownfall-22flowercrownfall-24

Happy Crafting! 

flowercrownfall-27

Leave a Reply